Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Teens in America Are Feeling the Effects of the Economic Downturn


The financial crisis in America is impacting teenagers across the country. All of the sudden (or, not-so suddenly...), families are having a harder time meeting their financial obligations and there's less money for teens to spend. Some families pay their children a weekly allowance, expecting them to use their pocket money to cover the cost of school lunches, outings with friends, and extra clothing.

Most teens, however, also have part-time jobs. Teens can legally work at age sixteen, although they are still expected to finish high school. Even children from privileged families work, often as babysitters, tutors or doing yard work for other families (mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc). Many teens also work part-time in fast-food restaurants, cafes, bookstores or in retails shops of all kinds.

Since attending a university is expensive in America, most teens start saving for for it when they're sixteen. Money received from relatives on one's birthday is often put away to help cover the costs

Having work experience has long been considered a plus when high school students apply to universities; in addition to proving the student's responsibility, it also teaches the student skills that enrich the student's academic performance.

Think that working at McDonald's is a waste of time for a sixteen-year-old? Well, Americans recognize that a high school senior who has had such experience has probably learned the following things from the experience:
  • interpersonal skills (both with customers and with co-workers)
  • accountability (your manager is counting on you to be at work when you say you will, and to do what you've been asked to do)
  • patience (No one claims that working at McDonald's is going to be intellectually-rewarding and fun, but the patience learned by working there can serve one well in future jobs and in school.)

In addition, if you're headed to a good university, chances are that working in a fast-food restaurant will have made you even more determined to finish your studies and to have better job opportunities available to you. You're much more likely to be a committed student, taking your studies seriously.

Teens are generally expected to earn their own money to cover the items they want: new ipods, music, movie tickets, designer clothing, etc. Other items, considered needs, are usually covered by parents: basic clothing, food, transportation.

Given the downturn in the economy, however, more and more children are having to earn their own money to pay for more of what their parents used to provide. Here is one such girl's radio essay on how the financial crisis in America has transformed her; she's no longer spoiled -- instead she is taking pride in helping her family with the money she earns at her part-time job.

October 11, 2008 at 11:00pm


By Genai Powers


There was a time in my life I described myself as spoiled. Now that the economy has taken a turn for the worst, I don’t feel way that anymore.


I’m Genai Powers with a commentary from Youth Radio.


I was the first person at my school with a cell phone, and my closet was filled with designer brands -- gifts from my older sister and grandmother. But recently my sister was laid off, and now she counts on me to help put gas in her tank


My grandmother was once the financial foundation of the family, but now I see her struggling, too. Previously, if family members needed a loan, she would give it to them. When they ask now, she says, “I can’t, I’m broke,” or “I’m not made out of money.” She doesn’t take me shopping anymore, and sometimes I have to pitch in for groceries.


Helping my sister and grandmother forces me to save any money I earn to make sure we all get through this financial hardship, but I don’t mind helping out because it allows me to repay them for how they used to spoil me.


For Youth Radio, I’m Genai Powers.

No comments: